To raise awareness why early sexual activity (under the age of 16) is a problem, the reasons why young people have early sex and what lies behind this. The training will also look into the strategies, which will enhance the empowerment of young people to make positive decisions for themselves.
At the end of this course participants will have:
- An awareness of the causes and effects of engaging in early sex and some of the research findings
- An understanding of the ‘Are You Ready?’ approach
- Explored a range of practical ways of working with young people to help them to make positive and healthy decisions for themselves
- Have access to the ‘Are You Ready?’ – 10 Strategies Toolbox
- Considered the concept of ‘readiness’ for young people and knowledge of a decision making resource they can use to assess this.
Who should attend?
This course is for anyone who works with 10-15 year olds who are vulnerable to becoming sexually active whilst not being ready, such as youth workers, school nurses, sexual health nurses, hub nurses, teaching and non‑teaching staff, social workers, community workers and volunteers.