This training will introduce the theory of trauma and will enable participants to identify and implement practical strategies to appropriately support service users who may experience trauma. This training will allow support workers, project workers and other staff to become trauma-informed within their practice.
By the end of this course participants will have:
- The ability to recognise the different types and causes of trauma which may be experienced by clients
- Identified behaviours and coping strategies associated with trauma
- Be able to describe the relationship between drug/alcohol use and trauma
- The ability to recall techniques for managing disclosure of trauma
- Identified how to support clients who may be experiencing trauma
- Be able to demonstrate trauma-informed practice
- Identified techniques to recognise and manage issues experienced by supporting staff, e.g. vicarious trauma.
Who should attend?
This course is a foundational, introductory course aimed at practitioners who have not completed formal or professional training in this area. It is therefore aimed at those who work with people who have experienced trauma, but who have not themselves received formal training.
Scottish Drugs Forum